I'm On a Boat

Posted by Mongo Monday, November 9, 2009

In its 35 year run, Saturday Night Live has had its share of ebb and flow when it comes to popularity. Looking back, most will say that the best years were during the ones with the original cast back in the 70s. Some will say the early 80s produced the funniest moments when Eddie Murphy was a part of the cast. More will say that when Dana Carvey joined the cast in 1986 with Jon Lovitz, Dennis Miller and Phil Hartman the show had its best years yet. The next renaissance would come with the inclusion of Mike Myers, Chris Farley and Adam Sandler at the end of the 80s into the beginning of the 90s. I could go on up to the present but you see what I mean.

But for every heyday the show had, it also suffered huge slumps that almost cost Saturday night television an institution. However, history aside I can say that for time being SNL has been enjoying a solid run these past couple of years with Andy Samberg, Keenan Thompson, Seth Meyers and Kristen Wiig. Some of the biggest pop culture moments to come out of the show were not even live. They were digital shorts produced by the comedy troup The Lonely Island featuring Andy Samberg. Two of the more popular ones to come out were Dick In a Box and I'm On a Boat.

Having missed the bandwagon for Dick In a Box with shirt designs, I am trying to stay current with what could come next. I've only slightly missed catching the wave for I'm On a Boat. But sometimes you need to take a step back and not jump at the first chance to be trendy. I thought about just doing a plain design with the words, "I'm on a boat." on a shirt but that is too easy and cheap. If you're going to pay between $15 and $20 for a shirt the least a designer could do was to put some effort into it. So, I mulled over the idea and thought, what is the song about? It's about being on a boat, right? But it's about living the pimp life on a luxury boat with champagne and girls and flashy jewelry. Hmmm, that sounds like living large on the Titanic, doesn't it? That led me to think would it be funny to have the iceberg be the one saying, "I'm on a boat!" Funny or not, that's where I went with this one. It could actually be seen two ways. The iceberg could be saying, "I'm on a boat" or the irony could be that you're living large like the King of the World on a boat and some dumb iceberg comes along and ruins it. There you have it.





Get it at Cafepress or Zazzle


0 comments

Post a Comment